6 Ways to Avoid Becoming a Travel Bore

It’s been four months since I returned from my solo around-the-world adventure (not that I’m counting or anything) and it has taken my poor mother to yell at me “will you PLEASE just shut up about Africa” to realise that maybe…just MAYBE…I am starting to turn into one of those travel bores. I mean it’s difficult enough having to adjust to temporarily living under the same roof as your 30 year old daughter again, let alone someone who is a travel bore.

6 Ways to Avoid Becoming a Travel Bore

So what is a travel bore?

A travel bore is either one (or all) of the following:

1) Someone who endlessly bangs on about their travels or finds ways to drop it into everyday conversations, thus beginning to sound a lot like Michelle from American Pie. For example: “guys, guys…did you know…this one time in…?”

2) Someone who continuously tries to one-up people with their travel stories or drones on about how something is “so much better” in another country

3) Someone whose social media accounts are filled with nostalgic updates, memories and travel-related articles showing they simply cannot come to terms with the fact their travels are over

Does this sound familiar? I for one am guilty as charged for some of the above.

I mean…I am even starting to bore myself saying the same things over and over again. I’ve lost track of what stories I’ve already shared and with whom I’ve shared them with. I’m pretty sure my friends and family can tell my anecdotes better than  I can now.

Don’t think I haven’t noticed when your eyes glaze over and you think to yourselves “SO Nikki….do you have anything ELSE interesting going on in your life right now?”

“Erm….if by interesting you mean that weekend break I am planning to Barcelona soon, then yes of course!”

OK, OK so I may have just had the trip of a lifetime and admit I am guilty of wanting to share every tiny detail with you all…

…but dear beloved friends and family…I must apologise if I have become somewhat of a “travel bore”

I think I am now (partially) ready to accept that yes that happened, yes it was amazing, and yes I have many great memories that will stay with me for a lifetime. But it’s old news and now it’s time to focus on the present.

So how does one become a “travel bore” no more after a long-term trip? Fear not…I have the answers…

Six Ways to Avoid Becoming a Travel Bore

1) Take a vow of travel storytelling silence

Unless of course you are asked about said stories, then tell away! However, on those occasions where you’re having a normal conversation, remember not everyone wants to hear how your Thai takeaway isn’t a patch on the Pad Thai you sampled from the street vendors of Bangkok. Country name-dropping is irritating and remember not everyone is as interested in travel as you are. Yes, it may be frustrating that none of your nearest and dearest seem interested in your life-changing experiences anymore, but that brings me to my second point…

2) Start a travel blog!

This can be your outlet to talk about travel AS MUCH as you like. With a little dedication, you can build up a following of people who have an active interest in travel and (hopefully) enjoy hearing you tell endless tales of your adventures. If writing isn’t your thing, find another creative outlet like creating photo albums. However you decide to document your travels, it’s a great way to keep hold of those memories and make you feel less like they’re going to get lost in a deep dark abyss of your brain if you don’t immediately vocalise EVERY detail of EVERY amazing experience with whoever walks through the door.

3) Reminisce with your travel buddies

We live in a digital age, and it is now easier than ever to stay connected with the many friends that you made around the world. Save stories for when you next speak to them or reach out to them when a memory pops into your head. You’re much more likely to have your enthusiasm reciprocated if you share those special moments with people who were there experiencing it with you.

4) Be social media savvy

Just like no one likes to see continuous updates about what someone is having for dinner that night, no one likes a bragger posting daily selfies of them on a deserted island……from several weeks ago. Social media is a wonderful tool for keeping friends and family updated, however old news is boring news. Keep personal accounts fresh, and if you have a blog, save nostalgic updates for your accounts associated with that blog, like Instagram for example. If your friends and family are interested, they will be following you on there anyway and can check in and out when they please.

5) Accept travel is a personal journey

I’m sure anyone who has been away for a long period of time will say that travel has transformed their life in one way or another. It’s a personal journey and the only person who can truly know and understand what that journey meant to you…is you. All those life-changing moments or new-found morals don’t need to be forced onto others. They’ll probably end up begrudging you for it anyway. Those moments are for you and you alone to learn from and fit into your own life if you choose to do so.

6) Appreciate how lucky you are

Not everyone is in a position to travel or maybe it’s not their main priority in life at the moment. But there are a lot of people who would kill to have the chance and won’t appreciate having it continuously rubbed in their face. So instead of sulking over the fact you’re no longer hopping your way around the world and that no-one wants to hear about it any more, take a moment to appreciate how fortunate you are to have experienced the things you have experienced. You have stories to tell that wouldn’t be worth telling if you were doing it all the time anyway.

And if none of that works and you’re still labelled a travel bore…well sod it. Who needs friends that can’t be happy for your happiness anyway? By the way, did I mention…that one time in Africa???

Nikita
    November 27, 2015 at 2:10 am

I’ve definitely been guilty of this… But talking about travel is so much FUN! One of the main reasons I started a blog was so I could ramble about it to people who actually care. 🙂

Chris van Niekerk
    November 27, 2015 at 4:17 am

I’m so glad you addressed this! I find it difficult not to name-drop countries because to me it provides context, to someone who hasn’t been too that country, not so much.

Awesome post!

Chris van Niekerk
      November 27, 2015 at 4:19 am

I’m so glad you addressed this! I find it difficult not to name-drop countries because to me it provides context, to someone who hasn’t been to that country, not so much.

Awesome post!

November 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

Thanks Chris! That is one thing I am definitely guilty of…not because I am trying to rub it in people’s faces but more because something will just spark a certain memory. I often find myself having to pause before I say anything now!

Michelle Christina
    November 27, 2015 at 4:33 am

Haha, I LOVE THIS POST. I am totally guilty of this from time to time, because nothing excites me more than sharing travel stories. I always think them the most wildly interesting anecdotal gems to have ever existed, and I think my friends will empathize fully, but yeah. It ends up sounding like you’re rubbing it in people’s faces (and they get tired of hearing about your trip that happened in 2013….oops). I love the advice about starting a travel blog and keeping that mega story sharing within your group of equally excited travel buddies. Hopefully, that group can keep expanding.

K.
    November 27, 2015 at 5:27 am

Ah, I’m still at that stage of my travels where I can’t wait to hear more stories from travel bores! Perhaps it will wear off soon? 😀

November 27, 2015 at 9:38 am

Naaah I don’t think it ever wears off! I think travellers generally love hearing other travellers’ stories! As long as they aren’t doing it to show-off or get one-up on someone. I’ll never get bored of it.

Toni Frazer
    November 27, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hahaha this is SO me in some regards! Not completely but I have done my best not to be a bore! But I can see the tendency for sure ha! Funny post!

November 27, 2015 at 9:34 am

Haha thanks Toni! I just can’t help myself sometimes!

Sonja
    November 27, 2015 at 9:39 am

I especially agree with points 5 and 6! Definitely nailed it on the head there :). I worry about being guilty of this and I know sometimes I talk a little too much about travel, but it’s so hard! Definitely part of the reason I started my blog!

November 27, 2015 at 9:47 am

Haha! It is SOOOO hard isn’t it?! I really have to think about who I am speaking to before a word comes out of my mouth now!

Prianka | Map Halves
    November 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

I make jokes about this with my expat friends all the time. It frequently happens where I start a story, and go wait – was that the time in Cambodia or Taipei? And my friend is like – dude, that was when we went to our friend’s wedding in America / no that was just in Korea / etc. I’ve long since realised, this is less endearing when you are with people who don’t spend all their time traveling. Cute post, I’ll definitely pin it!

November 28, 2015 at 12:40 am

Thanks Prianka, I have those moments where it all becomes a bit blurred where what happened where!

Laura Nordberg / Girl Gone Vagabond
    November 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Haha this is absolutely hilarious. The pictures killed me. But I’m guilty as charged… thanks for the useful tips. I’ll definitely keep these in mind!

November 28, 2015 at 12:42 am

Glad you liked the comical pics Laura! Haha! I hope you find the tips handy!

Nam Cheah
      December 20, 2015 at 8:20 am

Haha my sister is nodding next to me as we read this article – it doesn’t help that she heard my travel stories a million times as ibretold them to different friends that we meet up (we are twins). Thanks for the article! I am definitely going to tone down on country name dropping and saying oh I did this there!

Natasha Alden
    November 27, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Haha this gave me a good laugh! But in all seriousness, a travel bore is a real thing and I’m sure I am an offender of it sometimes. I always relate with “well in Italy they do this and that.” I specifically remember my mom getting mad at me cause I told her that her favorite Thai restaurant could not compare with the $1 pad thai in Thailand. :/

November 28, 2015 at 12:44 am

Thanks Natasha! I think the travel bore syndrome might be as bad as the travel bug syndrome! I think we just have to embrace it! I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one who thinks so highly of the $1 Pad Thai in comparison to the typical Thai food we find at home!

Taylor Lorenz
    November 28, 2015 at 1:52 am

Such a girl post! And quite entertaining. I’ve definitely been guilty of this after my first trip through Europe. But like you said, travel is very personal and no matter what I say no one will quite understand the impact its had on me.

Nathan Friesen
    November 28, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Great post! I think all travellers are guilty of this. It’s hard not to when it’s ones passion. People who are not as into travel do get bored by the stories quite quickly though as I’ve come to find.

Hannah
    November 29, 2015 at 7:34 pm

haha this post is spot on!
    You are right about being considerate of your audience!

Emma Hart | Paper Planes and Caramel Waffles
    November 29, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I am SO guilty of being a travel bore at times, and I came back from Australia 3 years ago! I can’t help it that that 14 months was an incredibly important part of my life and now I’ve been bitten by the travel bug. I’ve learnt to keep my travel tales to my blog though, were people are probably a little bit more interested in what I want to say 🙂

December 2, 2015 at 7:58 pm

I am with you there Emma! I think I’ll be talking about Africa for a long long time!

Samantha
    November 29, 2015 at 8:21 pm

Oh my goodness, this is the reason I started a travel blog! I could tell people were annoying with my stories of travel and I didn’t want to bother them so I started a blog so people who actually wanted to read my tales could do so 🙂

December 2, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Haha! I’m glad you found an outlet for telling your stories! Sometimes we just need to get them out!

Megan | Traveling Nine to Fiver
    November 29, 2015 at 9:02 pm

I love this. It’s definitely one of the reasons why I write. It’s easy to be a travel bore but at the same time many of my friends are I bought a house or I’m getting married bore. It’s all about finding others who want to talk about the same adventures you’re taking right now.

December 2, 2015 at 8:00 pm

So true Megan! It’s all about finding others who share your passions!

Brittany Quaglieri | Transformed Thru Travel
    November 29, 2015 at 10:10 pm

I’m very conscious of this! While a good amount of my friends do travel, not all of them are as passionate about the effect that it can have on you. To them, it’s just something they do, then they move on. It was difficult to talk to them about the deep connection I have with traveling. So I started my blog and sought out new friends by going to conferences and joining groups!

December 2, 2015 at 8:02 pm

A great additional tip Brittany! I’ve definitely found friends that share my passion through the blogging community!

Lara Dunning
    November 30, 2015 at 12:34 am

Cute post! Luckily, most folks want to hear about the places I’ve been in Washington as they live here. But, I’m sure if I went into another state I’d run into that same prob. 🙂

Susan Decoteau-Ferrier
    November 30, 2015 at 1:20 am

I think anyone who loves to travel can easily fall into this. I do want to share all the wonder of the world with everyone. I don’t get people who are happy not going anywhere. I actually had someone tell me that recently. I could only reply by saying “There are all different kind of people in this world and you happen to be happy where you are. That’s OK.” But honestly I don’t get it.

December 2, 2015 at 8:04 pm

It’s a tricky one! I guess everyone has different passions, but I too find it hard to understand why anyone wouldn’t want to see more of the world!

Lee
    November 30, 2015 at 2:42 am

Oh boy, do I understand this! I’m forwarding it to my bf, maybe he’ll get the hint! He’s discovered travel late in life, so it’s so cute to hear him talk with joy about all the places I’ve dragged him to. However, I think some people start to glaze over after hearing him name-drop about some exotic place for the umpteenth time. Moderation is the key!

December 1, 2015 at 7:41 am

Haha! Moderation is the key! It’s just good to know I’m not the only one!

Kevin Wagar
    November 30, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Great post! I am so guilty of this, and I’ve found that starting a travel blog has just made me worse! Thanks for keeping me in check. I vow to shut my mouth once in a while. 🙂

December 1, 2015 at 7:39 am

Haha! Oh no that’s that tip squashed! Maybe you’re right, I find myself talking about my blog a lot more than I used to!

Tara- Hippie Hits The Road
    November 30, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Hahaha, this was a great read! I’m pretty sure all travelers have at some point been a travel bore… I sure have! Nice tips for dealing with it, too. I think 3, 5 and 6 are my favorites though… well, that’s half… That’s a good list! 😉

Erika Bisbocci
    November 30, 2015 at 10:10 pm

OOOOPS…I think I’m guilty of some of these. Truth is though, your right. People don’t want to hear about your travels 24/7, unless they are just as travel addicted as you are….so blogs are a great outlet!

December 2, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Erika, seems like there’s a lot of us that are just as guilty!

Ghowneu Yang
    November 30, 2015 at 11:29 pm

I love rambling about my adventures and travels! It’s also good for tips to others!

Ash
    December 1, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Love your post! The more people read it- the more they’ll get encouraged to travel! I’m sharing your post on my social media channels!! 🙂

Danik The Explorer
    December 1, 2015 at 4:55 pm

GUILTY! This blog is so true ((for me anyway)) – great write up 😀

Rebecca
    December 1, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Oh gosh I’ve definitely been guilty of this. Because I’m a full-time traveler I sometimes feel like ALL my stories have to do with travel and my friends and family get irritated. (I tell myself they’re just jealous …) Thank goodness for an outlet in blogging!

Birthe (from Wandering.World)
    December 4, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Love, love, love this post! We’re only 3 months in our round the world trip and still have about 8 months to go, but it’s pinned for later. 😉 Thanks for sharing!

Amy
    December 7, 2015 at 3:16 am

This is GREAT! Definitely something I’m trying to be aware of as I travel more. Awesome tips!
    You can be a total travel bore WHILE traveling as well. When meeting other travelers you do tend to run through the same questions over and over again, so a friend and I started to develop new conversation starters. Personal favorites, “Where would you live if you had to settle down for a year?” and “Robots — good or bad?”

Amanda Bidwell
    December 9, 2015 at 7:50 am

Preach!! I have to admit I’m guilty of this but also very self aware- its particularly my bad when you’re an expat as its always ‘back home’… Will be taking your advice xx

Lena
    December 15, 2015 at 2:23 pm

This is funny!! I was often annoyed with my friend who was telling same stories all over again “oh in Thailand…” ahhhh!!! I hope I don’t turn into one:) good advise! Really, not everyone is interested in your stories, so basically I didn’t even many of them to my friends… Blog is my creative and emotional outlet! However… In Nepal…:)

Amanda | Chasing My Sunshine
    December 20, 2015 at 12:10 am

This makes me laugh so hard. This is one of the reasons I started travel blogging back when I studied abroad. Ain’t no travel bore worse than one who studied abroad. 😉 I like to think my blog is my outlet. But I still need to watch myself sometimes. Glad to know I’m not the only one that is admitting to being guilty of this. Ha!

Lotte
    December 20, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Haha, I totally do all of those three things:-) It’s just so hard not to when taking a long-term trip is the best thing you have ever experienced in your life and you want talk everybody into doing the same;-)

Ayla
    December 20, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I love this post! I am a total travel bore and to be honest I really don’t care! It is great having lots of other bloggers to discuss our travels with though. I will never get bored of your tales from Africa (I’m still talking about my African adventures 4 years later!) so if everyone else is getting bored of your stories, you know where I am! 🙂

December 20, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Haha thanks Ayla! Good to know your not bored of my adventures! I think my mum is feeling somewhat guilty since I posted this haha!

Marc
    December 27, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Very interesting article. I am sure I am not a travel bore. I think this is a good one for one of my friend who needs a wake up call. ????

December 30, 2015 at 9:42 am

Haha, thanks Marc! We probably all have a travel bore in our lives 🙂

Laura @ Grassroots Nomad
    January 3, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Hahah, I think we have all been guilty of this at one point or another. My personal mission this year is to make sure I encourage people to travel more responsibly without sounding judgey… surprisingly hard!

Samantha @ Our Traveling Blog
    January 4, 2016 at 1:06 am

Wow, after reading your post, I am afraid I may be a little of a travel bore. However, I think it’s because that’s our thing. We don’t have kids, so we travel. I guess I can see though how it’s like the mom that constantly share pictures of her kids,on FB, or tells the same story of what Johnny or Susie did in school today, etc. Thanks for your post. Helped put it in perspective. 🙂

Nathan Friesen
    January 7, 2016 at 3:09 pm

I truly feel with this, as travel is my passion. However, my friends who are married with kids don’t understand my obsession. Great post!

January 9, 2016 at 5:15 am

Lovely post! Not a travel bore but this is sure a good read for some of my buddies though. 🙂

Rich
    January 12, 2016 at 5:43 pm

Hi Nikki,
    Found you on G+ after you +1’ed my travel bore column. My social is full of columns promoting my blog so that it gets readers. Even a few! So much work goes into writing.
    With that said- here’s one of my favorite, funniest “travel bore” pieces– feel free to comment if you enjoy http://www.richtrek.com/2011/11/rocking-bus-ride-on-stormy-seas-to.html

Cheers and keep traveling

January 12, 2016 at 8:01 pm

Thanks for sharing Rich…I really like your writing style, will definitely check out more of your blog. On another note! What arse holes!!!

Jennifer St Louis
    February 15, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I think you wrote this about me! I’m working on it and will be following your tips! Thanks so much!

Ami
    February 16, 2016 at 3:26 am

I like the last one especially – Appreciate how lucky you are! I think it reminds me of how thankful I should be of the opportunities I have had so far. Nice post.

Jessica
    February 16, 2016 at 5:13 am

Oh my goodness yes. Being a nomad that has lived all around the world, I really do try to avoid this. And in the back of my head I have one very big example of someone I know who is SUCH a huge travel bore. Smh.

Gearoid McSweeney
    February 16, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Oops…maybe I should edit my social media accounts to delete all the travel posts right now…Perhaps we could develop a travellers’ support group???

February 16, 2016 at 9:14 pm

I totally like your thinking! And this is something I have definitely thought about!

Marta
    February 16, 2016 at 7:01 pm

I find this post really funny and really true! As you suggest, I find writing a travel blog absolutely brilliant to avoid the travel bore trap: there, you can be as boring as you want and people can very easily avoid you – also, it’s a good way to kee yourself in check as if you are very boring on a blog, people WILL avoid you 🙂

melody pittman
    February 17, 2016 at 3:37 am

Fun, fun, fun post! Love it and yes, I, too, am guilty of some of those things. Especially getting carried away by talking too much about my adventurers. Was just realizing this the other night FYI. LOL Great things to practice. Thanks for putting them in black and white. 😉

Shelly
    February 18, 2016 at 1:47 pm

Great post! I will be heading home in about two months for a visit, I was already thinking of taking a vow of travel silence, I think that’s the best way to go!

Ajay Sood
    February 18, 2016 at 9:18 pm

There are 1% of times when I degenerate into one – when I am faced with those who brag (about anything… everything). I do not regret that. In fact, I savour those moments! *Devilish grin*

February 19, 2016 at 4:40 am

Good tips you have provided here, will definitely use them, and yes social media is a great outlet.

Taylor Lorenz
    February 19, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I think I may have commented on this before haha, but I re-read it and still love it! Great post and loving the blog!

Karin
    February 20, 2016 at 11:05 pm

Hahaha, I enjoyed this post so much! I had a good laugh and I am totally guilty.

Sabine
    February 21, 2016 at 8:43 pm

This is a great post!! I actually never thought of it like that, but now, it makes me think that sometimes I really must be a travel bore 🙂 But….if you travel long term, what else will you talk about when you get home, so maybe it makes the other non travel bores…or something… 😀 Anyway, I love this post!

Tarah Vongbouthy
    February 23, 2016 at 5:07 am

I can’t say that Ive never bored people with my travels or my pictures, but I think like you said its important to remember how lucky we are to travel to different places, as a lot of people haven’t even gotten out of their hometown.

Liesbeth
    February 23, 2016 at 8:29 pm

Haha I guess we’re all guilty of being a travel bore every once in a while, but that’s what happens when you’re passionate about something, right? 🙂 Great read hon, made me laugh once again 🙂

leticia
    February 23, 2016 at 10:18 pm

Guilty!! Following your tips now 😀

Elizabeth @ Compass & Fork
    February 24, 2016 at 5:29 am

Very funny! It’s like when you have a friend that talks about work all the time!

Sindre Sandvik
    March 26, 2016 at 7:11 pm

I am quite possibly guilty of some, if not all of this. Perhaps I shall proclaim a moratorium on telling stories from my last adventure for a while, especially considering it is only 4 ish months until my next one.. with a small visit to Germany before that to heed some of your advice, to visit one of my travel buddies from last years adventures.

danielle clifford
    March 28, 2016 at 12:10 am

this is amazing and i want to hug you for writing this

Danielle
    April 24, 2016 at 7:09 pm

I actually started a travel blog so that I could natter on about my travels without boring people anymore! My sister gets so mad at me – I don’t care, SHE MUST GO AND SEE THE WORLD (okay I definitely am a travel bore… maybe I should read this post again…).

Liz Cheng
    April 29, 2016 at 4:49 am

Omg! I love this post! You are sooooo right. We are addicted to travels in so many ways that we simply forget that others may not be as interested. I can’t wait to meet more people who love traveling as much as k do so we can all “go wild”! Lol

6 Ways To Share Your Travel Stories Without Annoying All Of Your Friends – Elite Daily (blog) | Find Travel Hotel Discounts, Budget Hotel Deals Worldwide.
    May 5, 2016 at 4:38 pm

[…] This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog.  […]

6 Ways To Share Your Travel Stories Without Annoying All Of Your Friends - Elite Daily (blog) - News Go
    May 5, 2016 at 4:52 pm

[…] This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog.  […]

6 Ways To Share Your Travel Stories Without Annoying All Of Your Friends – Elite Daily (blog) | Everyday News Update
    May 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm

[…] This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog.  […]

6 Ways To Share Your Travel Stories Without Annoying All Of Your Friends – Elite Daily (blog) | Your Lucky News Update
    May 5, 2016 at 5:42 pm

[…] This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog.  […]

6 Ways To Share Your Travel Stories Without Annoying All Of Your Friends – Elite Daily (blog) | World Breaking News Update
    May 5, 2016 at 6:40 pm

[…] This article was originally published on the author’s personal blog.  […]

7 MORE Spirited Solo Female Travelers To Follow - Eva Explores
    June 3, 2016 at 3:05 pm

[…] weeks, holds a special place in her heart. Now she’s back in England, trying not to become a travel bore, and dreaming of travel. In the meantime, you can catch her on snapchat, where she’s […]

Ben Zabulis
    July 13, 2016 at 4:31 am

Very good article, I think No. 5 and 6 are recommended ! I suppose you have to judge who will be interested, most people of course won’t be but some will. I know a few people who are always keen to ask and so I can bore on without fear of retribution, whilst others I wouldn’t even dream of mentioning the dreaded ‘T’ word ha ha !! Funnily enough among our travel circle we say that you become a ‘when I’, thus: ‘When I was in…..’zzzzz Happy travels for us at least !!

Instagram Round up August - Castles, Oceans and Snow - Travel on the Brain
    August 30, 2016 at 9:31 am

[…] as a blogger – cause we bloggers ain’t rich Solo vs group travel – because both are awesome 6 Ways to avoid becoming a travel bore – It’s hard to NOT talk about travel all the time but necessary 6 things emotionally intelligent […]