Photo Tales from The Tarangire

It’s no secret on this blog that I am a little bit in love with Tanzania. The diverse culture, the beautiful scenery, its friendly people, make this one of my favourite destinations to date. It’s the kind of place that truly gets under your skin, making you want more…

But one of the greatest things about this captivating country is the abundance of fascinating wildlife it offers. As David Attenborough so rightly puts it: “There’s nowhere in the world where wildlife puts on a greater show…”

The best way to experience the rich array of wildlife is by going on a safari. I chose a four day/three nights camping package with African Scenic Safaris, which took us around the northern circuit to some of Tanzania’s more popular national parks – The Tarangire, The Serengeti and the Ngorogoro Crater.

It’s hard to pick a favourite as they are all so wildly different. But there is something special about The Tarangire, which I feel is often overshadowed by other parks. While small in comparison, it still manages to fit in a lot of big things. Namely its abundance of huge African Baobab Trees and the largest population of elephants in Tanzania.

It has the greatest concentration of wildlife outside of the Serengeti eco-system and its sparse landscape scattered with grassy savannah plains and acacia-trees truly make you feel as though you’re in the heart of the African bush. No amount of pictures can do the landscape any justice, but I have tried to give it a good go below…

If you’re visiting Tanzania between June and October, a safari trip to this park is not to be missed. During the dry season, it’s an extravaganza of wildlife as they migrate to the Tarangire River that runs through the park.

While lions are a little harder to spot here, you’ll be greeted by so much other amazing wildlife. Here’s just a glimpse of what to expect from a spectacular game drive through The Tarangire (I hope you’re sat down with a cup of tea…this photo blog is a big one!)

Photo Diary - Tales from The Tarangire

You can read more about my experience in The Tarangire (and beyond!) by clicking here!

Have you ever been on a safari in Tanzania? What was your favourite park?

Paul White
    February 16, 2016 at 11:16 pm

If you love Africa I am sure you will want to read Angie Raab’s article in CQ Magazine

tots2travel
    February 17, 2016 at 7:32 am

The animals are amazing but it’s the clouds and skyscapes that are breathtaking in your images.

LisaLDN
    February 17, 2016 at 8:40 am

Those photos are beautiful! I’m currently planning a safari with my best friend, and Tanzania has been high on the list! Any recommendations? Gonna head over and read your safari-post now! 🙂

February 17, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Can certainly recommend African Scenic Safaris – would be happy to put you in touch as I know the owner.

Polly
        December 19, 2016 at 7:12 am

Hi Noodles! Could you provide me with contact info for them? The website isn’t working… thanks, if it’s possible!

Tamz
    February 17, 2016 at 9:33 am

These are some wonderful pictures Nikki 🙂

Joe
    February 18, 2016 at 7:43 pm

I’m going there this summer! Thanks for this post: useful info and excellent photography – my experience I’ll be slightly different as we can’t fit Serengeti in to our tight budget unfortunately so it’ll be Lake Manyara in place of that (doing Ngorongoro though), and I’ll have, er, 14 teenage girls for company. But hopefully we’ll enjoy as much as you seem to have 🙂

March 24, 2016 at 9:30 pm

I’m certain you will! I’ve never been to Lake Manyara but would love to. Next time 😉

Tara
    February 19, 2016 at 9:19 pm

Amazing photos! I love the lesser-known parks and places, but I’ve never been on safari. Seeing elephants in the wild is a dream of mine, you’re fueling my wanderlust for sure!

March 24, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Do it! Honestly one of the best experiences of my life. I felt like I was in the real life Lion King!

Wanderlustingk
    February 19, 2016 at 11:18 pm

Fantastic photos! I’ve never visited, but I’d love to go!

March 24, 2016 at 9:31 pm

I hope you get to one day, it really is as amazing as the photos look. In fact these photos don’t really do it any justice at all! You have to see it with your own eyes.

Amanda Williams
    February 20, 2016 at 11:12 am

I love wildlife trips like this. I will pin for future reference.

March 24, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Thanks Amanda 🙂 Me too – big lover of all animals…with the exception of sharks perhaps…

Tamar
    February 20, 2016 at 2:57 pm

Your photos are stunning! I particularly love the elephants, so big and yet so peaceful looking! Beautiful beautiful post!

March 24, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Tamar, there is something very majestic about elephants.

February 20, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for including little birds in your post. They are so often overlooked and are so cool!

February 20, 2016 at 4:46 pm

I love birds! And the tarangire park is a superb place for birdwatching!

Katie Featherstone
    February 23, 2016 at 5:13 pm

Oh wow, I just need to be in Africa right now! The colours seem to be unrivalled anywhere in the world- I love your wildlife shots.

March 24, 2016 at 9:33 pm

Thanks Katie! Glad you liked the post and hope you get to go to Africa soon!

March 3, 2016 at 9:43 pm

OMG. I gasped when I saw an ostrich (and I’ve viewed this photo-essay before and apparently skipped over it)! What an amazing place to experience. I also just realized that I have this bookmarked in my favorites, not just pinned to my Must-see board 🙂

March 24, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Good good! Glad you liked it – I know you LOVE your national parks!

March 4, 2016 at 1:39 am

I love the clouds in your photos! The reflection on the elephants at the water is beautiful too! I guess I need to go back to Tanzania to see this park as I missed it!:)

March 24, 2016 at 9:35 pm

Oh no! Like you need any more excuses to go back to Tanzania 😉

Renne Simpson
    March 4, 2016 at 2:24 am

Well then…to Tanzania I go! These photos are amazing. Love the animals <3 And the clouds you captured look incredible.

March 24, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Renne, you definitely should if you get the chance. My favourite country so far 🙂

March 4, 2016 at 5:24 am

There is only one word that says it all BEAUTIFUL.

Heather
    March 4, 2016 at 9:29 am

Tarangire was gorgeous. The elephant herd sizes and everything we saw from the landscape to the animals was breathtaking. And the trees were enormous.

March 24, 2016 at 9:37 pm

I’m glad you agree, I really feel like a lot of people underrate it and there’s just something special about it that sets it apart from some of the others I visited.

Sarah Lambert
    June 23, 2016 at 6:35 am

We’ve just come from there & now relaxing on Zanzibar! Beautiful photos. We loved the Baobab trees too. I love your photo of the contemplative baboon!

June 23, 2016 at 6:47 am

Haha thanks Sarah! It’s a truly stunning place isn’t it? Loved Zanzibar! I’m so excited about returning later this year ????

A Visual Journey Through the Serengeti- Photo Essay - RoarLoud
    November 7, 2016 at 9:37 pm

[…]  We were in awe of these animals that have so much intelligence and compassion. I would love to head to Tarangire National Park which is known for having the largest population of elephants.  It is impossible to look at […]