7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

I’ve been daydreaming of Latin America for a number of years now. But when I flick through brochure after brochure to get those wanderlust juices flowing, Costa Rica always seems to be the first country to stand out to me on the pages, screamingvisit me, visit me!”

One of the main reasons this country features high on my Latin America travel wish list is because it seems to have it all. Whether you’re a nature lover, adrenaline junkie, a foodie traveller, or just a total beach-bum, Costa Rica seems to be the ultimate destination for keen explorers of any kind.

Here’s seven reasons why I have to tick Costa Rica off my travel wish list!

It’s an adventure playground for everyone

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Zip-lining, hiking, kayaking, white-water rafting, canopy tours, skydiving, surfing, scuba-diving – you name it, Costa Rica probably has it. While I am by no means the world’s biggest thrill-seeker, it’s great to have such a plethora of adrenaline-fuelled activities on offer if I was feeling slightly adventurous.

It has an abundance of blissful beaches

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

It’s no lie on the blog that I love a good beach! And Costa Rica is supposed to have some of the most spectacular in the world. Stretching over 1500 km from the Pacific to the Caribbean, Costa Rica’s coastline boasts beautiful, sandy beaches lined by rugged rainforests. I hear the Manuel Antonio National Park is a definite must-see, where you can walk through unspoilt rainforests discovering hidden beaches and an abundance of wildlife along the way!

It is the home to one of my favourite animals – sloths!

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Much to my sister’s dismay, I have a weird obsession with sloths. I love them because they’re so ugly they’re cute, and they are probably one of the laziest creatures in the world (perhaps my spirit animal???). It is an absolute dream of mine to see them in their natural habitat, and what better place to do it than Costa Rica? Sloths are probably the country’s most famous resident and they can be spotted literally everywhere!

It has hundreds of volcanoes

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Part of the Pacific Ring Fire Circle, Costa Rica is an area booming with high volcanic activity. It currently has over 200 volcanic formations, however, only around 100 show any signs of volcanic activity, while just five are classified as active volcanoes. Perhaps the most famous of Costa Rica’s volcanoes is Arenal, which is thought to have a ‘perfect’ volcanic cone that sits towering above the surrounding landscapes of the Arenal National Park.

It looks like a luscious green wonderland

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Almost every photo I see of Costa Rica has inviting images of lush green landscapes and tropical rainforests, so it’s not surprising to learn that it is the home to 46 national parks, reserves and wildlife refuges. I’m a sucker for beautiful scenery and love exploring the depths of magical forests taking in all the different sights, smells and sounds. If the photos are anything to go by, then I can see myself never wanting to leave.

It’s a dream for coffee and chocolate lovers

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Whether you’re a coffee or a chocolate addict, in Costa Rica you can have the best of both worlds.  Coffee is Costa Rica’s most famous export, and they are as equally well-known for their high-quality chocolate produced from organic cocoa and natural ingredients. I am a big fan of both so this gets a massive thumbs up from me!

It is also the home to lots of other interesting wildlife (besides sloths!)

7 Reasons Costa Rica is on My Travel Wish List

Aside from sloths, Costa Rica is considered to be one of the world’s most biodiverse countries and is the home to half a million different species. That’s around 5% of the world’s total species, which is actually quite impressive for a relatively small country. From monkeys and racoons, to lizards and iguanas, this country is a haven of tropical wildlife. All over Costa Rica there are opportunities to experience wildlife encounters, whether it’s heading to Tortuguero National Park to witness nesting turtles or walking through the misty Monteverde Cloud Forest to capture some of the country’s 900 species of colourful birdlife!

So there’s at least seven reasons why Costa Rica features on my travel wish list – have I missed anything out? Let me know below!

And if (like me) you want to have your very own Costa Rican adventure, then definitely check out Trek America’s awesome itineraries for travel inspiration.

Disclaimer: This is a collaborative post brought to you in partnership with Trek America. But as always, the views and opinions expressed in this article are my own.

Ayla
    May 26, 2016 at 2:58 pm

My mum has just booked a trip to Costa Rica and I am so so jealous!! It’s like my dream destination – gorgeous beaches, friendly locals, a different culture and so so much amazing wildlife! I may just jump in my mum’s suitcase – I’m sure there’s room for you too 😉

Samantha
    May 26, 2016 at 4:36 pm

You hit the nail on the head! Costa Rica has crept higher and higher on my list to be sure. Never really thought much about it, though it always looked gorgeous and a lot of adventurous fun to be had. But the more I’ve heard about it and seen of it, the more I want to go! You might want to check out these trips for inspiration and maybe even more ideas of what to see: http://www.stridetravel.com/tours/destinations/central-america-caribbean/costa-rica.html

June 1, 2016 at 9:45 pm

Thanks Samantha, I am constantly keeping my eye on flights at the moment! I’ve fuelled my own wanderlust just writing all the reasons down!

Maria Miller
    May 27, 2016 at 1:43 pm

It is beautiful, but watch out! People steal like crazy! If you’re out on the streets, keep your money in your shoe or your underwear. They are excellent pick-pockets!

June 1, 2016 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the tip. I had heard this before! I always try and remain vigilant wherever I go!

Marta
    June 2, 2016 at 9:41 pm

Costa Rica has been one of my dream destinations for years, I love the idea of such a biodiverse country and with those beaches, it really seems like a corner of heaven. I had no idea they had sloths there: your reason to go is my reason now, I find the expression in their eyes so cute!

June 3, 2016 at 6:40 pm

They are so adorable aren’t they? I’d love to go to one of the sanctuaries.

Colby
    June 3, 2016 at 5:14 am

I have yet to venture into Latin America, but Costa Rica has also been very high on my list. I definitely look forward to the day I’m able to experience all of this amazingness!

June 3, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Me too! It’s crept almost to the top of my list!

Kevin Wagar
    June 3, 2016 at 6:09 pm

Costa Rica is fantastic! I remember when I was in Tortuguero on a river taxi when a sloth pooped on my shoulder. True story.

June 3, 2016 at 6:23 pm

Hahaha that just made me lol! It could mean you have some lucky years ahead of you! At least that’s the superstition in England when a bird poops on you anyway!

Jaynie Wall
    June 4, 2016 at 12:43 am

I’ve been to Costa Rica a couple of times and it really does have so much to offer. Surfing is great there and the food is so good. I bet you will love it!

Ami
    June 4, 2016 at 5:59 am

Reasons enough for me to start researching now. I too, love sloth bears.

June 4, 2016 at 8:02 am

Volcanoes, lovely beaches, adventure activities and coffee, what more can one ask for. Costa Rica goes into my list from today .

Elizabeth @ Compass & Fork
    June 4, 2016 at 8:34 am

Costa Rica is high on my husband’s list, Mongolia is one of those pretty high on mine. For me Mongolia is different from a lot of other places I have been and it intrigues me.

Emily Kydd
    June 4, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Ok, you convinced me! I’ve been through Central America but stopped in Nicaragua, so I better hit up CR next!

June 4, 2016 at 7:37 pm

I’d love to do Central America, can you recommend any places?

Amy
    June 5, 2016 at 4:25 am

Who doesn’t love a sweet furry sloth??? CR is high on our list, it looks absolutely amazing!

Nomadi
    August 31, 2016 at 11:59 am

Costa Rica was one my first back-packing experiences eons ago (oh, showing my age again…) and it certainly didn’t disappoint. I can vouch for the activities (did zip-lining and horseback riding, which could count as extreme activity when you have never been on a horse and they were rather relaxed about it in true Costa Rican manner… nuff said), volcanoes (did amazing hikes around Arenal, coffee (visited a coffee farm), beaches… but sadly I didn’t see any sloths. Oh well, maybe next time 🙂

castorama melun tel
    January 19, 2017 at 11:24 am

whoah this blog is wonderful i love studying your posts. Keep up the good work!
    You know, a lot of persons are searching round for this info, you can aid them greatly.