21 Things Only Travellers With No Sense Of Direction Will Understand

It’s been a while since I last wrote a blog post poking a bit of fun at myself, so I think a little giggle is well overdue!

For anyone who has had the utmost pleasure of travelling with me they will know that my sense of direction is…well…somewhat lacking.

There are some people in this world that know where they are going, and then there are others that basically just have no clue. And I am one of them…

So if, like me, you’re a traveller that generally has absolutely no sense of direction and wonders how you ever manage to get from A to B, I know you will find the following 21 struggles all too real!

1. Maps make your brain hurt…ALOT

“what the hell does this line MEAN????”

2. But you also admire their beauty

…as a piece of decorative art on your wall with pins pointing to all the destinations you have somehow managed to navigate your way around

3. GPS on your phone is a life saviour

…and you have literally no idea how you managed to survive before the smartphone was invented

4. But equally when your GPS starts yelling at you to turn around, you just can’t deal!

“shut up, I’m on the motorway, I CAN’T TURN AROUND!!!”

5. Getting directions from strangers becomes the norm

“hrrrrm he looks like he might know this place pretty well….excuse me there Mr!”

6. But your brain can’t really cope with verbal directions either

….“so I just go straight forever and ever and ever and ever???”

7. And when someone asks YOU for directions you immediately go into a state of panic

….and run for miles and miles in the opposite direction until you don’t know where the hell you are anymore

8. You have become an expert in picking travel buddies that don’t seem as directionally-challenged as you

….“that guy over there with the beard…he looks wise…and kinda hot too!”

9. Knowing your right from your left is a daily struggle

“go right….no I meant left…NO RIGHT..” *looks at hands* “Oh I give up”

10. Which makes you literally the WORST road-trip buddy in the world

“I SAID LEFT NOT RIGHT…oh wait…here you take the map”

11. But you can always be trusted to make an excellent playlist

…we’re going on safari?? TOTO AFRICA it is!!!

12. You always turn up at airports, train stations, bus terminals, way too early

…for fear of getting yourself horribly lost on the way

13. Even finding the bathroom in a restaurant can turn into a mini adventure…

….“shit….is this the men’s??? SORRY!!!!”

14. You always have a friend on standby for when you do get lost

“help i’m lost!”
“where are you??”
“I HAVE NO IDEA…don’t you know the meaning of the word LOST?”

15. Mazes at amusement parks are your idea of HELL

…like seriously, why do people do that for fun??? #thisismylife

16. You’ve spent an embarrassing amount of time looking for your car in a parking lot

…multiple times

17. You have most likely driven the wrong way down a one-way street

…multiple times

18. Multi-tasking while driving is NOT an option

“will you turn that music down??? I’m trying to concentrate.”

19. You + alcohol + trying to find your way home = CATASTROPHE

…”TAXI!!!”

20. When you wake up, it always takes you about five minutes to remember where you are

“where am i???”

21. But wherever you go…you know it will always be an adventure

…and you’ll find your way home…eventually.

Soumya Nambiar
    July 10, 2016 at 7:38 pm

Lol I am directionally challenged too in new places. I have no idea how I survived before Gps.
    I kept nodding my head to most items on this list

Jenny Wenham
    July 10, 2016 at 9:37 pm

Oh my, this brings back some nightmares. But, on the plus side, I never get lost … but sometimes I take the scenic route.

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:01 pm

The “scenic route” is often the best kinda route!

Natalie Garland
    July 11, 2016 at 12:13 am

HA! Can totally relate to this post – so glad I’m not the only one!

Prasad Np
    July 11, 2016 at 12:55 pm

This is funny and I have had my own brush with being totally lost in a new place…

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:02 pm

That’s all part of the fun though right?

Gessell + Lee: a Family Travel Blog
    July 11, 2016 at 1:37 pm

This was too funny. I remember when I used to print directions off of Mapquest. (Yes I’m that old.) 🙂 Google Maps is my trusted sidekick when navigating anywhere these days!

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I second that! I seriously wouldn’t survive without it.

July 11, 2016 at 8:24 pm

Thanks for the laugh, I’m good at times but absolutely clueless other times:) I do to walk with purpose so people often follow me into getting lost:)

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Hahaha it must be the hiker in you 😉

Simone Vos
    July 11, 2016 at 9:32 pm

Haha I am so bad with left and right… could it be a girl thing? And all hell breaks loose when my Google maps starts acting up!

Christine K
    July 11, 2016 at 9:46 pm

This is a totally good perspective. I have a good sense of direction so to read this was an eye opener. Nice job.

Mariana
    July 11, 2016 at 11:00 pm

Except for getting early to places this is the literal story of my life

kelsi
    July 11, 2016 at 11:33 pm

omg the one way street thing. honestly. i’ve done it with bikes too, lol.

Cristal
    July 12, 2016 at 10:14 am

One way streets should be banned! Or better signed. I have gone down my fair share in foreign countries which especially scary when you’re driving on the opposite side of the road that you’re used to!

July 12, 2016 at 12:29 pm

This is hilarious, as I’m one of those people who can totally NOT relate. My brain is a photographic map of every place I’ve ever been or looked at on a map. I can’t imagine being you in a place like Paris. You’d need to say goodbye to all of your loved ones before going out for a baguette.

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:07 pm

Hahahahaha! So true! Funnily enough Paris was a complete nightmare for me to navigate around ten years ago. And I am sure I am getting worse with age, not better!

Bob
    July 12, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I never get lost, I’m just not always sure where I am.

Joanna Szreder
    July 12, 2016 at 1:06 pm

hahah that really sounds like me 🙂 especially the bit with showing up too early.

Kevin Wagar
    July 12, 2016 at 6:05 pm

HAhahahaha, this cracked me up. I’m not directionally challenged, but I’ve travelled with people who are 🙂

melody pittman
    July 12, 2016 at 11:15 pm

Oh I have many friends who are just like you. 😉 I think there are those blessed with being the leaders (reading maps, etc) and those who follow, but provide the entertainment along the way. LOL Love the PLL reference. 😉

Jenny
    July 13, 2016 at 4:34 am

This is funny! I have a pretty decent sense of direction and yet I can still relate to some of these. 😉 I NEED a map though. When I arrive in a new city I feel completely lost unless I have seen my current position on that piece of paper (or Google maps, of course)

Ami
    July 13, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Ha ha…this is so funny! Incidently, I am the complete opposite. Though I have friends who have exhibited these traits 😀

Carlie
    July 14, 2016 at 1:45 am

Hysterical! I’ve done many of these things…many times 🙂

Jenny Wenham
    July 16, 2016 at 2:42 am

I think you’ve inspired me to write a few short posts about some of my own navigational challenges. I’ll link back to this one of yours.

Vyjay
    July 18, 2016 at 6:00 am

This was a very amusing post that made me smile this morning. I am pretty good at directions, but I truly understand your feelings here. I rely heavily on advice from strangers for directions, but many a time have ended up having to take my own decision as the directions were contradictory 🙂

Shobha
    July 21, 2016 at 3:00 am

Funny! Although I really can’t relate because I have an excellent sense of direction. My family makes fun of me because I can find my way back somewhere after I have been there only once.

Nikki Godwin
      April 11, 2017 at 12:04 pm

a good skill to have! perhaps I could hire you as my personal navigator!

I’m not lost … I took the scenic route! | flying goannas